The people in the United States must have heard about this drug. However, they may not know the actual cause of using this medication. Before starting with the description of Adderall, there are a few things that you need to know related to this drug.
First of all, Adderall is a drug that is combined by using two other drugs – Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine. This combinational drug acts as a stimulant on the Central Nervous System, which changes the working of chemicals inside the brain. The functioning of Adderall is to affect neurotransmitter chemicals inside the brain, which are – dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
The use of Adderall is to treat conditions like ADHD and Narcolepsy. Both of these conditions are way too distinct from each other. ADHD is the abbreviation for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It is a disorder where a person is unable to concentrate over any activity, and the attention also lacks in every aspect of life. On the other hand, Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder under which a person falls asleep in a peaceful surrounding. Narcolepsy mostly occurs in people who are adults or older adults.
Facts about Adderall –
There are some interesting facts related to the use of Adderall. They are listed below –
- In the year 2012, there was a massive abuse reported with the use of Adderall. There were suspensions based on Adderall abuse in the National Football League.
- In the year 2009, approximately 65% of patients that were admitted to the emergency room were due to the misuse of Adderall. Most of them have taken Adderall in combination with some other drugs.
- About 16 million prescriptions were written for the use of Adderall in the year 2012. It was almost triple in number to that in the year 2008.
- In the year 2012, around 116,000 people were admitted to the rehab centers due to the addition of Adderall.
- As per the studies, it is reported that the college students are likely to Abuse Adderall along with alcohol, cocaine, and marijuana.
- Students who are in college abuse Adderall twice in percentage as compared to those who are not in college.
Understanding Adderall –
Now that you know much about the use of Adderall let us tell you more about the drug and the terms related to it. It is one of the most popularly prescribed medications in the United States. The patients who misuse this drug is due to the medicinal property of the drug.
ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder was primarily termed as ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It is an outdated term that was changed in 2013 by the American Psychiatric Association. This condition mainly starts appearing at an early age, sometimes in adults as well. When a person suffering from ADHD symptoms use this drug, it helps them to have better concentration and control over their behavior. If there is any person who doesn’t have the symptoms of Adderall, and still he/she takes the drug, the reaction of the drug can reverse. As a matter of fact, Adderall can result in a harmful effect on your health if taken without any requirement.
One should be sure about the symptoms that occur under the condition of ADHD. You must take help from your health expert if you want to be safe after the use of Adderall. Below are listed the symptoms that generally occur when a person suffers from ADHD.
Symptoms of ADHD in adults – Difficulty in organizing tasks, unable to concentrate over an activity, not able to finish tasks, the problem in remembering things, difficulty in following directions, and so. Other than this, adults may also face anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, mood swings, anger, and forgetfulness.
Symptoms of ADHD in children – Activity levels are high, unable to pay attention for long, a problem in sitting at one place, and other such symptoms.
Even after all these facts given, there are people who fake the symptoms to get a prescribed dose of Adderall. Doping so will make them addicted to the drug, and some other harmful effects may also take place.
Adderall Abuse –
The effect of Adderall is strong inside a human system. It can be hard to recognize if a person is abusing Adderall in any means. Some people often take Adderall to enhance their attentiveness and increase their productivity. Mostly the students from the college are abusing this drug to get good grades in academics. Drugs like Adderall that are stimulants will help you in better focus.
Certain signs develop at the time of Adderall abuse –
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual excitability
- Talking too much
- Sleeping for long
- Excessive weight loss
- Concentrating too much
- Memory problems
- Drugs are getting over soon
- Impulsive behavior
When these occur, the person is said to be facing Adderall abuse. Many a time, people themselves do not know that they are abusing the drug, or is it normal to take the drug. For more info on this, you may take help from a health advisor and avoid the harmful effects of the drug.
What should I avoid while taking Adderall?
Things that are to be avoided while using Adderall are given below –
- Do not start with the use of Adderall without having a prescription. Take recommendations from a professional medical expert.
- Do not take Adderall if you are using any other medicine in the current time. It may cause harmful drug interaction.
- Tell your doctor if you suffer from – heart or lung problems, kidney problems, blood pressure issues, alcohol addiction, or any other serious health issue.
- Ask your doctor to give you a minimum dose of Adderall if you are on the use of some other medication, as well.
- Do not crush or chew the tablets of Adderall. It may incur a harmful effect on your system due to the sudden release of drug in a single flow.
What Side Effects are Associated with Adderall?
As we mentioned above, Adderall is a potent drug that is quite effective in a person’s health. There are many side effects associated with the use of Adderall.
They are –
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Decrease in appetite
- Stomach problems
These side effects are not that intense and may go away within a few days. While you purchase Adderall, you must know about the side effects that the drug can cause. Your health advisor can also assist you in choosing the right dose of Adderall for your condition.
Side effects that may occur in children –
- A slow rate of growth
- Mood swings
- Tics (repetitive sounds that are difficult to control)
Serious side effects of Adderall are –
- Weight loss
- Feeling nervous
- Palpitations in the heart
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Excessive tiredness
- Problem in speech
- Weakness in the arms
- Blisters over the skin
- Rapid heart rate
- Skin allergy – hives or rashes
- Difficulty in breathing
When these side effects occur, the person needs to inform the medical professional. Severe cases may result in life-threatening health issues.