What is Soma?
Soma is one of the brand names used for marketing Carisoprodol, which is a muscle relaxant that blocks the sensation of pain between the nerves and the brain. Soma medicine is considered to be a short term treatment for muscle pain and discomfort. It is generally used along with physical therapy and rest for treating skeletal muscle conditions like injury or pain. Soma pill, when used helps the muscles to relax.
The patients should only use this medication for a short period of two to three weeks as there is no evidence regarding the effectiveness of this medication for a longer duration.
Is Soma a narcotic?
People usually consider Soma a narcotic due to its potential of heavy sedation, and anxiolytic effects. However, it is the only muscle relaxant classified as a controlled substance and has a possibility of abuse thus needs to be stored at a place that cannot be reached by children to prevent abuse of this medication. As Soma could be habit-forming and misusing habit-forming medicines can lead to addiction, overdose, and even death.
How to use Soma medicine?
The patients prescribed with Soma medicine should use the medication orally with or without food the way directed by the doctor. People should not practice this medication more frequently or in substantial doses than prescribed as doing so would not improve the condition but will increase the risk of side effects.
The dosage of this medication depends upon the patient’s medical condition and response to treatment. Patients prescribed with this medication should use it for a short term of 3 weeks or less unless instructed by the doctor.
What are the side effects of using Soma tablets?
Let us inform the side effects this medication has before people start using this medication.
The common Soma side effects include:
- Inability to sleep (insomnia)
- Blurred vision
- Upset stomach
Inform the doctor in any of these side effects worsen or persists.
Hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting, agitation, seizures, stiffness of muscles, sweating, shivering, loss of coordination, fever, and shivering are some severe side effects of abusing this drug. The patients witnessing any of these severe side effects should stop using Soma and consult the doctor for medical help. Swelling in the face, throat, or lips; hives; and difficulty breathing are some rare yet severe allergic reactions of this drug that require immediate medical assistance.
The precautions for using Soma are:
- People who have porphyria or are allergic to carisoprodol should not practice this medication to avoid allergic reactions.
- Alcohol should not be used with this medication as it could increase the drowsiness caused due to medicine.
- Ladies during their pregnancy should consult the doctor before using this medicine to know the benefits and risks this medication has.
- The patients prescribed with this medication need to inform the doctor about their medical history, especially about any blood disorder, personal or family history of substance abuse, kidney disease, liver disease, etc.
- Elderly patients could be much more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, especially confusion and drowsiness. These side effects could increase the chances of falling.
- Ladies using this medication should not breast-feed as the drug could pass into breast milk and cause undesirable effects on nursing infants.
- People using Soma tablets should avoid driving, using heavy machines, and doing work that needs attention as the drug might cause dizziness.
- Patients who use this medication need to inform the doctor about all the products they use, including herbal products, prescription drugs, and non- prescription drugs before undergoing surgery.
- People shouldn’t stop practicing Soma all of a sudden if they have used it for a long time or in substantial doses as doing so may cause withdrawal symptoms. You should consult the doctor as you may need to decrease the dosage before stopping the entire medication gradually.
Since Soma is the only muscle relaxant that falls in the category of a controlled substance; thus, the patients using this medication should follow the instructions to avoid dependence as misuse of a habit-forming drug could end up with drug addiction, overdosage, and sometimes death.