The human system is comprised of different organs that perform various activities in a day. To keep them healthy and balance, you need to be sure if your physical and mental state is in the right condition. People often ignore their mental health and lay more focus on physical structure. As a result of this, different kinds of disorders are commonly seen occurring in people at a young age.
Insomnia Disorder –
Insomnia is one such disorder that is widely seen in people who have a stressful lifestyle. People who suffer from insomnia are found not to be able to sleep at night. Even after getting asleep, it might be hard to stay asleep for long. Either your sleep will keep breaking in the middle of the night, or you will wake up early in the morning with an incomplete sleep. When you wake up, then too, you will feel tired. Not only will insomnia keep your energy low, but it will also affect your health, work, and other aspects of your life.
The time period of sleep that every individual may need depends upon their schedule for the day. Although children and older adults may need more sleep as compared to others. On average, an adult will require sleep of 7 to 8 hours a day. Insomnia occurs mostly in patients who are adults. It may last for a few days or even a week or so. According to the studies, people who live a stressful or traumatic life are more likely to get the disorder of insomnia. In some cases, insomnia lasts for months and even more. It can also be associated with other medical conditions apart from the one that people usually come across.
What symptoms may occur at the time of insomnia?
At first, you may not know if you are actually facing an issue like insomnia due to sleepless nights. For instance, you can change a few habits that you do on a daily basis and see if it’s of any use to you.
Following are the symptoms that may occur when a person has insomnia –
- The person will feel difficulty falling asleep at night for a few days.
- The sleep may get interrupted for no actual reason.
- The person will get up early in the morning without having a proper sleep of 6-7 hours.
- The person will feel drowsiness and tiredness in the daytime.
- The person will not be able to stay focused and might also start forgetting things.
- The person will not feel well-rested even after waking up in the morning.
- The person will face other mental problems like depression, anxiety, or irritating behavior.
- The person will continuously worry about sleep.
You can ask your health expert to get sure about this disorder that you might be suffering from. Do not start taking medicine without consulting your health expert.
How to know if you are at a higher risk of insomnia?
There can be times in a person’s life when he/she will be dealing with issues related to work, relationship, health issues, financial matters, or so on. When a person is not able to sleep due to these factors, it might go away as the problem gets solved. You need not take insomnia medication for such cases. However, you can be at a higher risk of insomnia, if you are any of these –
- People above the age of 60 – After a specific age limit, the sleep pattern of a person starts to get change due to the health conditions.
- People who have a mental or physical health issue – There can be a change in sleep timing when there’s some kind of health issue with your physical or psychological aspect.
- A female person or woman – At the time when a young girl starts with her menstrual cycle or even after getting it for a long time, the night can be sleepless due to the discomfort or hormonal change. At a later age, when women face menopause, there can be a disrupt in sleep due to the night sweats. Women who are pregnant may meet insomnia in the last months.
- People who do not have a scheduled life – Often, people who do not have a systemized and schedule lifestyle will develop a disorder like insomnia.
- A person living a stressful life – There will be a lot of stress when a person faces hard times in life. This may turn up to be short-term insomnia or for an extended period that can be chronic.
How to prevent insomnia?
Although insomnia is a severe disorder, it can be cured in a lesser time period. We have mentioned some of the things that you can do to prevent insomnia –
- Stick to the time table as per which you can complete your sleep. Keep your waking-up time and bedtime the same on a regular basis.
- Get involved in activities that will get your body feel tired. Doing regular exercise will promote your overall health.
- Do not take asleep in the middle of a day or before sleeping time.
- Check for the medications that you are currently taking. There are some drugs that make a person not to get enough sleep.
- Withdraw from the consumption of alcohol, caffeine, or any such drug.
- Do not take heavy meals before you go to bed.
- Keep the environment cozy and relaxed so that you can sleep with ease.
- Calm music and other therapies like relaxing aromas will promote good sleep.
What medication is used for the treatment of insomnia?
There are a number of medications that are used in the treatment of insomnia. The medicines mainly work on improving sleeping habits and aids in providing behavioral therapy. There are different medicines available in the market from which you can choose. Ambien is the most commonly prescribed medication, as it is safe as compared to the others. However, you can consult your health advisor to get a confirmed dosage of the drug.
Ambien is a popular drug in the United States. It is also sold by its generic name Zolpidem. Ambien or Zolpidem are categorized under the sedative group of drugs that are even termed as a hypnotic drug. The work of this medicine is to affect the chemicals inside the brain that are unbalanced. As a result of the disturbance in chemicals, people are unable to fall asleep due to the activities going on inside the mind. This drug is also available in immediate-release and extended-release tablets. These tablets shall only be taken after consulting your health expert and following the guidelines that are prescribed in the prescription form.
Is it safe to take Ambien for the treatment of insomnia?
As people know, Ambien is a sedative drug that is approved by the FDA; they often take the medicine without laying much focus on its working. Although it is safe to start with the use of Ambien, taking it for a longer time can be harmful to your health. There are some side effects that may occur when you take Ambien for overcoming the signs of insomnia. Some of the aftereffects that generally takes place are –
- Feeling too sleepy
- Pain in the chest
- Feeling dizzy
- Irregular heartbeats
- Palpitations in the chest
- Feeling tipsy in the morning
- Muscle pain
These side effects are observed to be mild and will also leave within a few days. However, if you do not see them recovering sooner, call your health expert to provide you proper aid.
Some of the side effects that can make a person’s condition severe are –
- Trouble in breathing
- Swelling up of the body parts
- Feeling lazy and depressed
- Mental issues
- Low on energy levels
- Difficulty in concentration
- Fluctuation in weight
- Shallow breathing
- Extremely tiredness
- State of Amnesia
Do not ignore these side effects because they may affect your health to an extreme. Tell your doctor about it and make a recommendation about the usage of the medicine.